Home » Articles » Immigration » What Type of Translation is Required for I-485?

What Type of Translation is Required for I-485?

Form I-485Form 1-485 is used by a person who lives in the United States and wants to apply to permanent resident status or register for permanent residence to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Any document submitted with this application, originally in a foreign (non-English) language, must be accompanied by a full English language translation.

The documents must be certified by the translator as complete and accurate and with a translator’s certification that he or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English.

Unless specifically required that an original document be filed with an application or petition, an ordinary legible photocopy may be submitted. Original documents submitted when not required will remain a part of the record; that is, not returned to you. Whenever possible, provide copies of your original documents.

I live in the United States, how do I know I qualify for permanent residence?

  • • Individuals admitted to the United States under the K-1 fiancé visa when they married a U.S. citizen withing 90 days of their entry, or if they were admitted as the K’2 child of a fiancé.
  • • This form is used as a complement of a relative petition, a special juvenile immigrant petition or a special immigrant military petition.
  • • Individuals who received asylum or as refugees in the United States who have been in this country for one year.
  • • Cubans admitted after January 1, 1959 and who have been in this country for at least one year. Or individuals who are married or children of a Cuban immigrant, regardless of their nationality.
  • • Individuals who have resided continuously in the United States since January 1, 1972.
  • • Individuals with an immediate relative who is a U.S. citizen, or who had an employment-based visa petition.
  • • Children born in the United States whose parents are foreign diplomats.
  • • A Diversity lottery winner who already lives in the United States.
  • • If you do not belong to this categories but you think you might qualify, you can call the National Customer Services Center at 1-800-375-5283 to find out if you belong to a category eligible for adjustment of status.

Form I-485 is fairly simple to fill out; follow the instructions provided by USCIS and let us know if we can help with any of those document translations.