Home » Articles » Government » What Documents Might USCIS Require when Applying for a Visa?

What Documents Might USCIS Require when Applying for a Visa?

When you are applying for a U.S. visa, either family or work sponsored, you need to provide documents that prove your eligibility for a certain visa category.

In most cases, you need to provide a copy of the original document and a certified translation into English-language. Depending on your visa category and status, these are the most common documents required by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for immigration purposes.

Documents Required by USCIS

Identity documents: Passport valid within six months and birth certificate.

Financial evidence: In almost every visa application, an applicant needs to provide financial evidence of sufficient funds to visit or live in the United States. These documents include:

  • • Income tax documents from the last three last years
  • • Bank statements
  • • Financial statements of your sponsor (whether it is an organization, business or individual)
  • • Tourists need to provide ties with their home country such as homeownership, work status and financial solvency

Evidence of relationship with a U.S. Citizen: for family sponsored visas (K1 and K2 visas and Legal Permanent Residents). These documents include:

  • • Photographs
  • • Letters
  • • Marriage or birth certificate
  • • Genealogy tree
  • • DNA testing in specified by the Embassy or U.S. Consulate

Evidence of professional background and job offer: Usually for work sponsored applicants. Visas O, Q, L, P, H-1B, H-2A, H-2B, D, I, R or E:

  • • Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions
  • • Resumé or CV, letters from present or past employers that state your work experience
  • • Job offer letter in the United States or recent letter from proposed employer
  • • U.S. company brochures and annual report

Evidence of study or exchange programs: Visas F, M and J.

  • • Acceptance letter from a U.S. institution
  • • Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions
  • • Scores from standardized tests: TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.
  • • Sufficient funds to pay tuition and living expenses

Other documents:

  • • Tourists need to provide a letter of the purpose of their trip such as invitation to a wedding, seminar, graduation, medical treatment or evidence of family vacation plans, reservations,  etc.
  • • If a foreigner or his U.S. citizen fiancé(e) were previously married: they need to provide evidence of a divorce or death certificate of any previous spouse.
  • • A fiancé(e) must provide police certificate from their country of residence and all countries where applicant have lived six months or more since age 16.
  • • For family sponsored visas, the applicant needs to provide a medical examination which includes physical examination, chest X-ray and blood tests by an authorized physician from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where the applicant lives.
  • • Police certificate from your present country of residence and all countries where applicant have lived for 6 months or more since age 16.
  • • Evidence and dates of previous trips to the United States.

For more information about these documents, visit the U.S. Department of State visa website.