Home » Articles » Academics » 5 Documents To Get Translated to Get a Student Visa in the U.S.

5 Documents To Get Translated to Get a Student Visa in the U.S.

If you’re thinking about coming to the United States to learn and study, you have a lot of forms to fill out. The process can be long and confusing, as can the forms involved. You might need some translation help with these to make sure nothing goes wrong.

1. Form I-20A-B or Form I-20M-N

One of the main documents you’ll likely need translated to get a student visa is the I-20 Form. This is the document issued by your college, university or vocational school that provides supporting information for your student visa.

You may have to fill out the I20A-B or I-20M-N form. The difference is the A-B is for academic and language students while the M-N is for vocational. These forms will also provide you with your student tracking number, or SEVIS number, for the United States Department of Homeland Security.

2. Form DS-160

Another very important document to translate is the DS-160 form. This form is for anyone seeking a non-immigrant visa to travel to the United States. You’ll likely need this if you want to come to the country to study or for any other reason.

This particular form has been made even easier by the U.S. Department of State by making it available online. This way you don’t have to deal with paper forms and messy mistakes.

3. Passport Forms

Of course to travel anywhere you’ll need your passport! Make sure you have all of these forms done and submitted as soon as possible. Governments sometimes take a long time to process passports and any hang-ups can be costly, especially if you’re looking come to the United States soon. While these forms can be relatively straightforward, you’ll still want to use a translator to help with any sticky parts that relate to student visas.

4. Income Tax and Financial Documents

Whether you are paying your own way or someone is helping you, you’ll need to provide income tax, bank statements or other financial documents to show you have sufficient money to handle living expenses in the United States. This is so you and the United States don’t go through the whole student visa process just to see you deported because you can’t pay your bills!

5. Transcripts and Diplomas

Another set of documents you may need help with translating are your transcripts and/or diplomas from your schools or institutions. For instance, if you’re coming to the United States to study at a college, you’ll need to provide all your past accomplishments. This is to prove you’re eligible to travel to the United States to study.

Make sure you provide everything you need to your translator and agent. All of this information will be submitted to the Department of State for your approval of entry into the country. If something is out of order or mistranslated, you may find yourself out of luck and out of a student visa!