If you’ve spent any time in airports, you’ve probably noticed the amazing ads from HSBC, “The World’s Local Bank.” Headquartered in London, HSBC is one of the largest financial services and banking organizations in the world with an international network comprising around 7,500 offices in 87 countries and territories in Europe, the Asia-Pacific region, the Americas, the Middle East and Africa.
It’s that global footprint that caught our attention and the fascinating world that their ad campaign reveals.
“The importance of knowing and understanding the local market is ingrained in our corporate culture,” said John Carroll, Executive Vice President and Head of Marketing, HSBC Bank USA. “Being local means more than just speaking the language, our offices around the world are staffed by local people who understand local customs and needs.”
Over 138 million people work outside their country of birth.
- • There are five times more people learning English in China than there are people in England.
- • Brazilian football teams have earned over $1 billion in transfer fees from selling players internationally.
- • On average, Russian billionaires are 19 years younger than those in America.
- • Indian e-tutors generate $20 million annually, teaching American students.
- • The Halal industry is worth $3 trillion worldwide.
- • Turkey has 3 times as many acres of vineyards as South Africa.
- • 0.3% of Saharan solar energy could power Europe.
- • Only 4% of US films are made by women, compared to 25% in Iran.
- • Comic books. More popular with Japanese adults than American children.
- • Holland makes more exporting soy sauce than Japan.
- • Pakistan is the world’s second largest exporter of clothing.
- • Tokyo has 3 times more Michelin starred restaurants than Paris.
- • The U.S. has more Spanish language newspaper readers than Latin America.
- • Hong Kong has almost twice as many skyscrapers as New York.
More Amazing Facts
- • About 80 percent of all life on Earth is found in the oceans, which cover 71 percent of the planet’s surface.
- • Of all the people in the world who have ever lived to be 65, two-thirds are alive today.
- • The amount of gold beneath the ocean could give everyone on earth €100,000.
- • Every day 200,000 people leave the countryside for the city.
- • Right now, there are over half a million people travelling the world by air.
- • Just 20% of the world’s wind energy could provide all of its energy needs.
- • Almost two thirds of the world’s billionaires made their fortunes from scratch
- • At least $1.6 billion is lying down the back of US sofas.
The world is an incredibly amazing place; almost impossible to comprehend. We’ll keep doing our part to make it easy to traverse and communicate throughout. What other amazing facts about the world have blown you away?